Pandemonium

Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver Moving on to the second book of the trilogy and I must say I am very disappointed. Mostly because I was enjoying myself tremendously until the last few pages of the book. This book had action, plot, and, even though it was predictable at times, was very fun to read. I really really liked it... then I read the ending and all I could do was scream, "Oh, come on!" whilst rolling my eyes.

I've said this already so I won't stay on the subject for too long, but Lauren Oliver is a fantastic writer. I love her ability to control words and meld them into a kind of smooth flowing river until she wants the reader to be at the edge of their seats and toss them over a waterfall! I get sucked into her writing all the time and I love how she makes me want to continue reading her work until it is all over. So I literally have no qualms about her writing (except for a few inconsistencies that happen from time to time but I'll leave that complaint with her editor and not Oliver herself).

The one thing I will complain about are her characters. For as much as I like Oliver's writing and her plot, I hate her characters. All of them seem so one-dimensional. Plain. Boring. Or just too stuck-up for me to really care about them. Another thing I don't like about her stories are the romances. They are so forced, so stagnant. I just feel like she tries too hard pairing these characters together. If it's meant to happen, let it flow naturally. Stop trying to make them get together so quickly because all it does is ruin the relationship and make it come across as rushed.

The ending... It was the most cliched, the most ridiculous, poor excuse as a plot twist ever. I saw that coming from a mile away yet I still had some hope, faint though it was, that Oliver wouldn't stoop so low. It's just a way to make readers think that now there's going to be a whole lot of new drama that no one really wants... unless you are into that sort of thing. I am not one of those people. I think it's ridiculous and desperate.

This trilogy is not turning out so well. I thought that Oliver was doing well up until that point... but the moment she decided to make that decision is when she lost me. I don't know whether I will read the last book or not. I feel like it's going to be one of those reads that is just going to have me rolling my eyes at every possible moment. Maybe I'll read the next one... maybe not... I'll have to think about it a bit more.

These books are not for everyone. If you like dystopian, action, and an all-around fun time, I think you should give this a read. If you are like me and hate forced relationships that are not well-developed and rushed, then you might want to skip out on these. Whichever it is, this is something you need to decide for yourselves.