The White Darkness - Geraldine McCaughrean This book is amazing! I really did fall in love with this book. It has so many intriguing aspects and great concept that I can't help but want to read it again and again. To think that I actually thought that I was not going to like this book. When I read the synopsis for it, it came across as something average. But let me tell you, there is nothing average about this book at all.

Let me start off by saying the story about a girl traveling with her derange uncle to see if they would be able to find Symmes' Hole and having the legendary Titus Oates living inside her was just epic. Me being a very imaginative person myself, believing that there are people who can love you no matter what shape or form they take, was very interested in reading this story. It hit home for me.

The characters are all well thought out, well-developed and I can see that McCaughrean really put some effort into making these characters. Most of them are just shaddy, self-centered people but that's the characters they are supposed to be. I can't stand Sigurd for his falseness, Manfred was a bit shallow but better than his "son," and Victor, Sym's uncle, was... a bit of a loon... but I respected him for it. Sym herself was mostly naive but she did have a certain charm to her that I can't help but adore her. But I think my absolute favorite character is Titus himself.

That's right! I love the legendary hero in this book! He is the no nonsense type. The type that will say the right thing, even if it tears you up inside. I love him for always being there for Sym even if it was only her imagination. I also love how even though he has been technically dead and his being in the book is just to prove that Sym herself is the strong one, I feel that without his character, without his inspiration, she wouldn't be able to survive through The White Darkness. He was such a beautifully written character and I must give McCaughren props for such a job well done. I love Titus Oates with all my heart.

The writing style is easy to follow and McCaughren has such a vast knowledge of what she writes that I am left in awe of the shere brillance she's shown in this book. I will be honest, after reading her other novel, Not The End of the World, I was a bit hesitant to read this one. But I must say, she left me with my mouth open! This novel is much more better than that one! It's amazing! I would have given this a five star rating except that at some parts, it felt a bit slow for me. But other than that, this book is absolutely fantastic and I recommend this to anyone who believes in imagination and that even in fantasies, some realities are possible.