Once Dead, Twice Shy - Kim Harrison I really hate to do this to Kim Harrison's book because I am not one to give out one star ratings that much. But this book was just terrible. It took me a few days to finish because I was just not feeling this book. It was very hard to get into and a bit confusing since I didn't read Harrion's short story that's in Prom Nights from Hell. I don't know if it would have made a difference or not but seeing as how this book was written, I doubt that.

The writing was very juvenile. Harrison wrote this book as if she had very little talent which I know is not true seeing as how her adult series are widely popular. It was as if she felt that since it's a YA novel, she could dumb it down for the audience to "better understand" what's going on when in actuality is just comes off as poor writing. Her descriptions of things were mediocre at best and not much difference when it came to word choice. I was very disappointed when it came to the writing in this book.

The characters really had no personalities whatsoever. They were boring and there was nothing that was in-depth about them. Most of them being very shallow. Madison, the female lead, was a cliché "goth girl" that kept mentioning her purple-tipped hair in ever other sentence along with her skull earrings as if to say "Oh look at me! I'm different and unique!" That really annoyed me. Barnabas, one of the male leads, was just annoying. To tell you the truth... I have no idea why he was in the story to begin with since he did abosolutely nothing except to complain. Josh, Madison's crush, was a bit better but in the "Yeah... I like you and I want us both to be safe but I am kinda useless" sort of way. Kairos, villian, was SO cliché that you just want to slam your head against the wall! He was like one of those villians out of a comic book. The characters in this book... were just... annoying.

I was actually looking forward to this book so it really makes me upset to see how badly it was written. I'll admit that I like the concept of the reapers and the stones... but the way it was portrayed just fell flat to me. I couldn't put myself for long hours to read this book like I normally do. I had to stop on countless occasions just to finish it. *Shakes head* Very disappointed read. But hey, you might like it for yourself. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't for you. Try it out. It's not the absolute worse I have ever read. That's saying something, isn't it?