The Mussel Eater by Octavia Cade

The Mussel Eater - Octavia Cade

The next short story I read for Jólabókaflóð is called The Mussel Eater by Octavia Cade. I liked this one but it took a while for me to really get into the story. It had a very slow beginning and the writing was nothing too spectacular. It starts off with a man named Karitoki trying to court a sea creature known as a Pania. Everyday he tried luring this creature to his town and his actions felt very repetitive to the reader. I found myself growing bored the more I read.

However, two-thirds into the story, as we reached the climax, I was very intrigued. Obviously, I cannot say what happened at this point for spoilers, but I will say that it picked up and I thought that it became a true monster/horror story. I probably would have loved this story more if its entirety contained the same momentum as the ending did.

Would I recommend this short story? Yes. You might have to push through the beginning portions to get to the exciting bits, but I think those bits are well worth it. If you are looking for something short to read this Christmas Eve, then I do think you should give this a shot. It's quite entertaining once you push through the slow parts.