The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give is a book that has received a lot of buzz lately. If you're somewhat active on Twitter or on BookTube, you've probably heard about it. And rightfully so. I recently went to my library and saw it on the shelves and since I want to educate myself more on important issues like the Black Lives Matter movement, I quickly snatched this book up. I read this book in one sitting. That's how good this is!

The book follows Starr, a black girl that lives in a poor black neighborhood but attends a fancy prep school in the suburbs. She tries to keep her two lives separate, but when a night of fun ends up with her unarmed best friend getting shot by a police officer, she finds that both of her lives will intertwine in a way she never wanted nor expected it would ever be.

Angie Thomas did a fantastic job in writing her debut novel. Her writing is so engrossing! I could not put this book down. The moment I started reading this book to her acknowledgements in the back, I inhaled her writing, her story, her characters. Everything is so beautifully written and everything felt so real. And that's important in a book like this. You need to feel like it's real because in a lot of ways, it is. How many times have we seen names becoming hashtags because the were the victim of a police shooting? More times than anyone cares to admit, but admit it we must... for this is a very real situation and these a very real people who have yet to receive justice. I am truly grateful to Angie Thomas for bringing more awareness to the movement with this book. To shed light on the darkness that persists in clouding the reality to what's happening in this country.

The characters in this book are incredible. Let's start off with Starr, our main character. I love her. She is so strong and fierce. Even when she feels like she's falling apart, she continues to fight and stand up for what she believes in. She was born into a world that literally has everything set up against her and yet she still perseveres! It's incredible to see such strength in this character, to have this example for other little black girls to look up to is important and necessary. I want little black girls to read this book and feel inspired to not keep their mouths shut, even if the whole world tells them to keep quiet. I want them to not feel afraid to stand up for what is right and what they believe in. And by reading this book, I think little girls can see themselves in Starr and do just that.

The other characters were just as engaging. Starr's parents are supportive and loving towards one another. In fact, the whole family treats each other with so much love and support. They may have their flaws, but what family doesn't? Still, that matters little when push comes to shove. They are always there for one another to help out in times of need. You truly see the strength of a community come together once the shooting happens. And even the falling out with some people. That's another aspect I love about this book. It teaches you that sometimes, you need to let certain people go. If that friendship is toxic and is doing more harm than good for you, then you need to let that friend go. It'll help you in the long run in finding your happiness.

One more thing I want to mention about this book is how Angie Thomas covers race. She was able to talk about race in a respectful, straight to the point way. She stated how different people have different experiences when it comes to race and we should be understanding and try not to hurt one another for it. I love that she destroys certain stereotypes that we are all familiar with when it comes to race. And she didn't only do it with black stereotypes. She did it for white people, too. Thomas took this book and used it as an educational tool not just for black people, not just for white people, but for everyone who may have been brought up in a society that does nothing but perpetuate these harmful stereotypes. Reading this book is truly an educational experience that I encourage everyone to partake in.

I love this book. It's such a good read. As I said, I could not put this book down the moment I started reading it. It is such a great book to read, and relevant. The Hate U Give is a beautifully crafted book that everyone should read. Angie Thomas did an amazing job and her message at the end of the book is absolutely stunning. I won't tell you what it is (you should definitely read the book to find out), but trust me that it's something a lot of us needed to hear. Thank you, Angie Thomas, for writing such a beautiful book. It's one that will stay with me for the rest of my life.