Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson and Grace Ellis

Lumberjanes Volume 1 -  Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis

There have been so many people talking and raving about Lumberjanes. So much so that when I want to the library, I snatched it up so fast! The only thing I knew about this comic was that it was about a bunch of girls who were at a summer camp and how it showed such a positive light on friendship. And, yes, it is about that. But there's also so much more to it!

The story is how they are at this camp and there's some bizarre events happening. Events that cannot be explained. The campers, being inquisitive and curious, set out to try and solve the mysteries surrounding Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. It is such a fun and quirky little story about female friendships and the positivity therein! I really loved reading this story. In fact, when I got to the end, I was shocked because it ended so fast and I just wanted more!

Noelle Stevenson and Grace Ellis did a fantastic job writing this comic. They managed to capture what it's like being a young teen, exploring different perspectives and friendships, and how diverse each and every single one of these characters felt was truly a breath of fresh air. Their characters are all different. Different race, skin, sexualities, body types, etc., and it's done respectfully. These traits just happen to be a part of that character. It does not define them. It's just who they are and I think it's such a well-done aspect of the comic. Props to the writers!

The artwork is so cute! Brooke Allen is the illustrator and she did such a fantastic job in capturing the feel and tone of the story through the art. It's a bit cartoony and that art style brings out the humor of the book perfectly! I love how each character looks so different from one another and since there are quite a few characters in the comic, it's important for each one to have a very distinct look. The colors are bright and light, the art is smooth, it just fits so well with everything this comic has set out to do.

The characters themselves are so fantastic. I love Jo. She's a calm and intelligent individual. April is spunky and tough. Mal and Molly have a beautiful relationship blossoming that I cannot wait to see more of. Ripley is a ball of energy and made me laugh more than one. And Jen, their camp counselor, is so awesome and humorous in her own right. Actually, I feel a bit bad for Jen. She has to deal with so much of the shenanigans that's happening around her. Poor woman can't catch a break. X3 But all the characters. Every single one of them is just unique and beautiful and lovely and I just can't!

Seriously, if you have not yet read Lumberjanes then I highly recommend you do. It's fun, sweet, light, and an all-around good time. If you're looking for a quick fun comic about friendships and mystery then I think this is a good comic to try out! I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. I know I am going to love it~