The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch by Neil Gaiman

The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch (Second Edition) - Michael Zuli, Neil Gaiman

If you've been following my reviews for a while, you'll know how much I adore Neil Gaiman's children literature. I've read nearly all the books he's written for kids and loved each one of them. I have yet to read his adult fiction, but I plan to rectify that within the coming months. However, I haven't read much of his graphic novels. I know his The Sandman series is highly regarded but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet (even though I really want to). I have read The Sleeper and the Spindle and I absolutely fell in love with it. So I was pretty excited to see another graphic novel by Gaiman, The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch, at the library! Unfortunately, I did not love this one as much as I did The Sleeper and the Spindle.

The writing wasn't as engaging as Gaiman work usually is. It was okay to read but the actual story was pretty forgettable. The characters were a bit bland, too. None of them felt "real" to me. The artwork, however, was it's redeeming factor. I didn't much care for the coloring but the art itself was stunning. Especially that cover art. Gorgeous!

If you are a fan of Gaiman, then you should give this a read. Even though this isn't as whimsical as his other works, it's still worth the read. The art alone makes it a beautiful piece to own. However, if you're looking for something to completely blow you away, I cannot say this will do the trick.