The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto by Natalie Standiford

The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto (Step-Into-Reading) - Natalie Standiford

This is a story that goes way back for me. I was raised learning about the story of Balto. I first, like many other kids, grew up watching the film. Once I saw it, I became curious about this "hero" dog. My parents filled in the blanks and, of course, talked about the statue of Balto that's in New York. I became infatuated with wolves and half-wolves ever since.

This book covers the story in a much more simpler form. The writing is very easy and the story, whilst containing everything from the long trek to the medicine delivery, leaves out a lot of the finer details. Honestly, it's to be expected since this book is made especially for very young readers. Despite all that, however, I love this book! It reminded me of when I was young and I wanted to learn more about Balto and how I couldn't get enough knowledge into my brain about him and the heroics he and the other sled dogs managed to achieve.

If you have a very young reader then I think this is the perfect introduction they could have about Balto. Read it together then, I recommend you watch the movie with your young reader. It's a great story and one that I wish more people will learn and talk about!