George by Alex Gino

George - Alex Gino

It's not often I say that I think a book is for everyone. However, when it comes to George, I truly do believe this is a book that EVERYONE should read. Children, adults, everyone.

George is a young child who is discovering who she is as a person. She was born, biologically, as a boy but always felt she was a girl. And she is, in fact, a girl. The story is her tale of being true to herself and having others accept her for who she is. This book is very important, especially in this day and age where not everyone is as accepting or open-minded. In a world full of ignorance and hate, I cannot think of a better book to help those who are going through a similar situation not feel alone. A book to help those who want to understand what it's like to feel like George is feeling. This book is so important and I cannot rave about it enough!

I love the writing style. Gino did a great job at grabbing the reader from the beginning. You just fall in love with the story and the characters, George is a total sweetheart and you feel for her throughout her self-discovery. Her best friend, Kelly, is very understanding and George's brother, Scott, is as well. The only characters I didn't much care for were Jeff (because he bullied George every chance he got) and George's Mother... although, her mother did grow on me after a while... no matter! These are still great characters and made the story so easy to get into and read along.

If you haven't read this book yet, you should. It's incredible. It's moving. It's heartbreaking. It's eyeopening. Just... read it. If you know anyone who may be transitioning or would like to understand a little more about transitioning, then recommend this book to them. I know they will appreciate it tremendously.