Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

What a fun little book! I think what I enjoyed the most about this book is the format. A lot of the book contains IM windows, files, important documents, newspaper articles, hand-written notes, etc. It was so much fun getting to read even what the "super computer's" thoughts were. It is a beautifully design book and it was a great experience getting to read it.

The plot itself isn't anything new. It's about the government trying to cover up this huge operation that went wrong, an AI being able to function on its own, and a virus spreading throughout the entire spaceship. However, though I agree this has been done before, the way it plays out is quite unique. I won't say exactly how it plays out to avoid spoilers, but I will say that the ending of this book really makes me want to pick up the next book in the series when it's released.

Also, the characters made this adventure a lot more enjoyable. I enjoyed are two main leads, Kady and Ezra. They had their moments where I thought they needed to get their shit together, but I am glad they showed character development and grew to put their priorities straight. I also enjoyed AIDAN as a character. He was quite interesting as an AI. (And, quite frankly, was my favorite character in the entire book.) There's also quite a bit of diversity in this book which is always a plus for me~

All-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. My one critique was how I sometimes felt it slowed down in the middle, especially when some of the "science" behind the ships were explained, but that's just my personal opinion. I do recognize those parts are necessary, however, so I'm not criticizing it too harshly.

I highly recommend this book if you are into sci-fi, adventures, and great characters! It's a fun read with a unique format and I believe you may enjoy yourselves with this one!