Dragon's Milk by Susan Fletcher

Dragon's Milk - Fletcher

I had to stop reading this book half-way through. It's not because I wasn't interested in the story. I really wanted to find out more about Kaeldra's power and what she was going to do once she took the draclings to Landerath. However, I just couldn't bring myself to finish this book because of something that happens. Now, if you have a sensitive stomach or are easily nauseated or you want to avoid spoilers all together, I advise you stop reading now. Otherwise, continue to scroll down to find out why I have chosen to stop reading this book.

I will not be continuing this book because there are many instances where the dragons injure other animals. Now, I am fully aware that they are powerful beasts in need of meat. I understand that. I managed to power through the book even though the dragons were eating rabbits all the time. It's not something I am completely comfortable with but I continued reading anyway. However, there is this one scene in particular that I just cannot "power through." I won't give too many details but it involves the dragons escaping from an attack dog by burning that dog alive. Then the author goes on to describe how the dog was nothing but a "black, mangled heap" that "lay smoking on the ground." Yes, the dragons did it in self-defense, but I am not a person who likes to read about things like that. I am very sensitive when it comes to animals getting hurt and so I am making the choice to stop reading this book. It's not a bad book but it's definitely not something I am comfortable reading with. If things like this doesn't bother you, then go ahead and give this book a shot. It can be quite the fantastical read. I was enjoying it until that particular scene. So, if you want, try it out for yourself. You never know. You may like it.