His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut - Dorothy Sharp Carter Let me start off by saying Dorothy Sharp Carter really did her homework for the novel! I was quite impressed with how factual and indepth this book was. I knew from the beginning that this was a fictional telling of the life of Makare Hatshepsut. However, when I read it, I was shocked to see a lot of it was actual facts about the queen's life! I am very familiar with the details of the female pharaoh for I was very intrigued at a very young age (since I came across her by playing Carmen Sandiego) with how Egypt, who very seldom yield to a woman's thoughts, had possessed a female ruler for quite some time! It astounded me so I do know quite a bit about His Majesty. So when I stumbled upon this book and saw how accurate it was, I was simply amazed!

The main plot follows the life of Makare Hatshepsut and her many accomplishments she achieved during her reign. One of the accomplishments that goes into detail is her voyage to Punt which brough back myrrh trees and other goods back to the Two Lands. The way Carter wrote this story was absolutely beautiful! Her writing was very lyrical which fit since this is supposed to be a time of old. Some might find it hard to follow since it is in such a poetic form but to me, I found it to be that much more endearing! It added to the story and made it stand out from other tellings of this fascinating tale.

The characters were true to their time! Hatshepsut was very ruthless as all pharaohs were but she was also caring with the few people she felt close to; that being her daughter, Nefrure, and her chief advisor, Senmut. Nefrure was a very loving child, full of life and had an airness that brought light to the palace. Senmut, who was also her lover, was very loyal and intelligent whilst always being there for his queen. Some of his methods are questionable but he always had the best interest of Hatshepsut in his mind and heart. Thutmose III, her stepson, wasn't seen much but he did bare hatred towards the queen for being denied the throne for so long. He proved to be a very forminable foe. As you can see, I love the characters to this novel so much!

I cannot say enough how much I love this book! It measured up to my love for this very infamous pharaoh! I loved how Carter was able to gather all the facts about Hatshepsut and create such a marvelous tale about her life. The only reason this book gets a four out of five is if you know most of Makare Hatshepsut's life facts, there will not be much for you to learn. However, it is still worth the read for its educational purposes as well as its entertaining factors! Seriously, if you ever had an interest in Queen Hatshepsut or in ancient Egyptian life in general, then I truly do think this book is for you! Besides, nothing wrong with wanting to edumacate yourself, right?