Ruined - Paula Morris Well, this book is by no means a terrible book. It was interesting enough to keep me reading till the end. I was really looking forward to reading a book about ghosts because it has been a very long time since I've encountered one on the subject and I'll be honest, it was a good read. However, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. It wasn't scary or creepy at all. This book was more informative than scary, which I like, don't get me wrong. I just thought that since it was a ghost novel, there would be parts that I would find frightening.

I think one of the main problems I found with this book is the writing. It's not that Paula Morris is a terrible writer. I just don't think her writing is for me, personally. I didn't like how she overused the colon where she could have simply used a period. She also had a tendency of using the same words to describe something over and over and over... well, you get the idea. If she used variations of words to describe her scenes and used a little less of those colons, then I am sure I would have enjoyed her writing a bit more.

The story itself was pretty good. I loved the history that was written of New Orleans because, being from the North, I know absolutely nothing about the South. So reading this did increase my knowledge of New Orleans which I am very grateful for. Especially since it had some information about Hurricane Katrina. As for the plot with the ghost and the mystery surrounding it? It wasn't bad. It was a bit slow in some places and just as equally, some parts felt too fast! There were some things in the story that I felt could have been left out but it was still entertaining.

The characters felt a bit... flat. There was not much to them. You don't get to learn hardly anything about some of the characters. Besides knowing some of the back story for Aunt Claudia, Anton, Helena, and Rebecca's father, there's really nothing else you learn. You only know some details about Rebecca and Lisette. Rebecca was a strong lead character but she had her moments where she was just annoying. And Lisette was rather sweet. I enjoyed her character the most, even though she didn't do much. Her story was the most fascinating to me.

This book was pretty interesting. I did enjoy it despite the fact that at some parts I felt it was predictable and slow/fast. If Morris took time to elaborate on the important facts instead on the less important ones then this book could have been great. Like I said, I was able to learn a lot about the history of the city so I am not in the least disappointed about picking up this book. It's still worth the read! Go ahead! Check it out for yourself! It might teach you a thing or two that schools now-a-days don't!