Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith Oh, this book... I don't know how I was able to get through it but I did. I am not too happy with how this book was executed. I thought the premise was good for the most part but then it just fell flat once you dive into the book. Nothing was very thought-provoking nor was it entertaining. Most of it was pretty boring and uneventful, to be honest. No action, the plot was iffy, and the characters... UGH! I can't even think about them.

Cynthia Leitich Smith has a very confusing writing style. There were times in the book when she was describing one scene and then it would just switch to a completely different scene altogether! Most of the time I had to reread some paragraphs because it left me questioning what was taking place. It didn't have a smooth flow nor was it very lyrical. I saw that she used the same writing techniques over and over which made it come across as dull. The fact that she repeated certain phrases also got on my nerves. I'll admit that sometimes, I like it when authors repeat a phrase; it makes it appear as poetry. But the way it was done here was just too sloppy and I just couldn't stomach it. Also, was I the only one who found Quincie saying the word "nada" a whole lot annoying or are there others out there who thought the same thing?

Speaking of Quincie: She is one of the most annoying female main characters I have ever read from a book! She has no depth, no personality, and all she thinks about it having sex with her best friend, Kieren. That's another thing that bothers me! How is she and Kieren best friends? There's no explanation as to why they are best friends. It just starts off that way. You know, letting the reader in on how characters become close is a good thing. Character development in general is a good thing! Just handing off two characters and saying, "They have been friends forever!" doesn't mean we, as the reader, are going to swallow that. Kieren doesn't even appear that much in the story so it's kinda hard to fall in love with him. Henry... was corny as hell. Most of the time, I did not find him charming. I just found him corny and annoying. For him to be the "other guy," he was mostly a nuisance and forgettable.

The story is mostly focused around getting the family restaurant reopened and getting the new chef, Henry/Brad, trained. This is most of the book! The novel does not get interesting until there's about sixty pages left! I was literally falling asleep until I got up to that point. And even then, it wasn't that amazing to read through. The ending... what kind of ending was that? It was like struggling in a sorching desert to get to the oasis just to find it's been drained of water. There was absolutely no reward! Man, my head hurts just thinking about it!

Look, that's not to say that this is the worst book I have ever read. It's just it fell completely flat and I felt it did absolutely nothing for the reader to enjoy this world where supernatural beings do exist (even though it was never explained how that came to be). It's a simple read that has it's moments that were generally good. I also enjoyed the fact that it included pages of the menu and the wanted ads. I thought that was creative. I just think it wasn't a fantastic book. If you are interested in this book, I say you should check it out of the library to save your money. It might be one of those where you just have to read first to decide whether you like it or not. I know it was disappointing to me...