Missing May - Cynthia Rylant Ah, nostalgia! I love this book! Ever since my friend introduced me to this book a few months back and I read it, it always stood with me as a very moving, beautiful story. I enjoyed reading this again for the second time and for many more times to come, I'm sure! Everything about the novel from the characters to the plot to the writing itself was simply amazing and I cannot say enough of how great this book is. I truly do not regret picking this up!

Cynthia Rylant is such a good author. Her writing style is simple but effective. It's perfect for children to understand, seeing as how this is a middle-grade book. My favorite part of Rylant's writing style is her use of analogies. She uses things we know, things children can pick up on easily through their schooling, and inputs those analogies in the situation of the main character herself. It was very amusing and well-executed. The story she conjured up in this novel is one many of us can relate to. Whenever we lose a love one, it's very difficult to let go but the fact that we are able to move on and keep fighting... that's what makes living in this world worthwhile. The message is a great message for children to learn and I feel with this book, they could do that. I loved how she kept things consistent. This consistence helped the story flow more smoothly and effectively! Truly beautiful!

The characters were amazing! Summer, main character, was great! At first, you see she is quite pessimistic. However, this is through no fault of her own. She's been through so much at her young age that it effected her in such a negative way that she doesn't expect any good to come her way. She even takes out a lot of her frustration with Cletus, a boy from school. But, by the end of the novel, you witness her grow into something more strong and capable that you have no fear about her not being able to cope anymore about what may befall her.

Ob, her father-figure, was a sweet man who cared for his wife dearly and was suffering from her lost. He was caring and, in his own right, strong with what happend. You see him rise from defeat and become something much more as the novel progresses! Cletus was just a bundle of joy. He helped both Ob and Summer cope with the lost of May. His outlook on life and his quirkiness was definitely something to admire. I really wished I knew someone like him when I was in seventh grade! Things would have gome much more better for me! >_< May... ah... such a sweet lady. Though never really seeing her alive throughout the novel, you get to know her through other characters and let me tell you, she is one of the nicest ladies I have ever seen in literature! Much love to her!

This book was just great for me. It had such wonderful characters, a great plot, and a meangingful message. I cannot even begin to tell you how glad I am that my friend told me about this book. It was right up there with all the good books I have been reading. This book is great for kids to read in order to get a better understanding of life. I highly recommend this book to all who love children's literature and who just want a beautifully told story with a very good message. This novel contains something for all ages to enjoy! The only reason why this doesn't get five stars is because I felt that it was a bit lacking in detail in some areas where it could have been expanded upon. But other than that, a great read! Go out there, find yourself a copy, and read it! You will not regret it!