Demon Diary, Vol. 01 - Kara, Lee Chi-Hyong I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this manga! It is so much fun! It's mostly crack... but that's okay! There's nothing wrong with reading crack! The intro to this manga series was just amazing, the characters are hilarious and caring, and the world building was great! I love how everything just seemed to flow so well. I can read this manga over and over and never get tired of it!

Lee Chi Hyong did a great job with telling this story. The dialogue of the characters are so silly you just can't help but laugh at it most of the time. Hyong also went in depth with describing how the demon system works and also did a fantastic job with explaining what mezraez is and how it works. I was really taken in with the world and its beauty. Speaking of beauty, Kara, the illustrator, did an amazing job with the artwork. I'm telling you, the artwork is so beautiful! Highly detailed and pleasing to the eye. Even when she draws in chibi version, she makes it stand out. Plus, it's just so cute! <3

Yes, I found the story intriguing but what made the story for me was the characters. God, I love these characters! Raenef, the main character and demon lord, is just so adorable! He's a little... slow but that only adds to the charm of his character. He's not your average demon lord as he's very kind and forgiving. He cares deeply about those surrounding him, especially Eclipse. Eclipse is Rae's servant. He is considered to be one of the most powerful demons in the Demon Realm. He's cold, heartless, and a bit of a grump but... being with Raenef softens that coldness about him. He tends to get frustrated easilly with Rae but that's only because he cares about him and wants him to be the best demon lord ever. These two grows from where they are now to something so much more by the end of the series (I would know, this is my sixth time reading through it. XD). Even by the end of this volume, you see how Eclipse slowly warms up to Raenef. It's very sweet! There aren't many supporting characters in this volume, they come later. However, you are introduced to a knight to who becomes one of the main characters in this series but I will not talk about the character in this review since the knight only appears for only a few short pages.

In this volume comes two short stories as well by Soome Lee with illustrations by the same artist. Crystal Heart was a very good but sad story. I quite enjoyed the aspect of one's love crystallizing into a gem so that one day you will be able to give it to your true love. It's a very sweet thought... if you didn't have to give up something in return. Now, I won't say what it is but let's just say that the Crystal Heart was given up for someone who doesn't deserve it. I mean, the main person who receives it deserves it but the one who's going to get it after that doesn't... I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't then... just read the manga and you'll see for yourself. Anyway, I love the characters! Monika is so protecting! He would do anything for those he cares about. He even stopped a perv from doing something really bad to Mano! I love him! Speaking of Mano, he's just a sweetie. He is so dedicated to Monika and he does something that one won't ever be able to forget. I shall always love him. Lilith... she's a bitch and deserves to die. That's all you need to know. All-in-all, this story was amazing. It's tragically beautiful.

The second short stroy is called Terra. I'll admit that I like this story, too. The concept about there being a goddess to protect the Earth from becoming completely polluted was an excellent idea. However, I felt that it wasn't executed perfectly. It was interesting but a bit dull compared to the rest of the manga. We don't get a huge sense of what's going on and why the characters are doing what they are doing. We don't even get to know who the characters are. I know it's a short story but in Crystal Heart I felt we got to know the characters in just a few pages. Not so much in this story. Jen is a guide for Vice and they are... well, I can't say what they are doing because that'll give everything away. Just know that Jen is goofy and Vice is the quiet-type. That's all you get to know about them.

Despite this last short story, I really, really, REALLY love this manga! It is so worth the read for anyone! Well, no. I can't say anyone. There are hints of shounen-ai and if you are not into that then maybe you won't like this manga. However, the main focus is Raenef becoming a powerful demon lord and not the romance between the two male leads so I think you should check it out just in case. It has great action, comedy, drama, and, for those who can handle it, romance. Seriously, this was the first manga I ever bought when I was a child and I do not regret it one bit! If you can, try to get your hands on a copy! It's worth it! ^_^