Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta Melina Marchetta is amazing when it comes to story-telling about real life situations. I've read Jellicoe Road first before picking this one up and was amazed by it. This one, although not as great as Jellicoe Road and did have some mior setbacks, was also another good read that makes me glad I decided to pick up another novel by this wonderful author.

The plot to this story is all about a mother's depression and how her daughter copes with it. From family issues to school life to boys to friends. It was many things it talks about and goes into great depth about what life is like for your average teenage girl. It's pretty much an average plot but it was still good enough to hold one's attention long enough to want to see the end of the entire story. I did feel that sometimes it was a bit dull but other than that, amazing.

The characters are kinda hit and miss with me. Francesca's character really annoyed me throughout the entire book. She was always so mopey and gloom and just no personality whatsoever. She went around blaming everyone for the sadness she had in her life. I hated the way she treated her father and her friends and I just wanted to slap her. She does get a bit better towards the end but she's still pathetic. Her love interest, Will, is nothing but a jerk and she's so clingy and desperate to be with him that it annoys me. Will was selfish most of the time which was shallow and boring to me.

But there are some characters that I do like. Robert, Francesca's father, is absolutely wonderful and adorable! He shows such dedication to his family but what I like most is his love for Mia, Fran's mother. It was so cute and so touching that I couldn't get enough of it. Mia was such a strong woman. I love her ideals and the way she wanted to better educate herself. That was great. She was a bit of a downer throughout other parts of the book but that's only because of the depression. Without that, we'd have no story. XD

The characters that I love: Thomas and Tara. They were hilarious together! Thomas was rude and crude and Tara was so opininated and I just love that! Jimmy was another one I love, though I don't approve of his use of pot. Justine was cute and sweet and Siobhan, though the school slut, was a very good friend. I actually like this book mostly for the side characters and not the main ones at all. I would have liked to see more of them because of how awesome they were. Especially Thomas and Tara.

This book was a very good read. I enjoyed myself. I don't think it's the best Marchetta's ever written but I defintely think you should check it out. It has lots of drama, teenage angst, and everything else that comes with high-school life. If you like that sort of thing then I really think you should give this book a try. Especially for the side characters! They make it all the wild!