Killing Britney - Sean Olin Oh, this book. Where to begin? I must say that I really, really enjoy it even though it is something I would never really read or get into. My tastes in book do not reach out to "murder mystery/thriller." I find those types of books to be... well... to put it bluntly... boring. There's no appeal to them for me. They all just suck. (That's right. I'm using proper language now.) So if I don't find them appealing then why did I read this one? Well, let me start off by telling you a very short story. About... four years ago, I went to the library in search of something new to read (much like I do now) and started browsing the shelves. I didn't have any particular book in mind so I was there for quite a while. When my parents became impatient and wanted me to hurry up, that's when I spotted this baby! I just saw the cover and the title and I knew what it was, but I still picked it up and read the synopsis on the back. Since I had nothing better to read, I decided to take it home with me. Once there, I began reading it.... and reading it... and reading it... until I was done with it. Took me a total of three-four hours to finish. There's just something about this book that I thoroughly enjoyed that made me really like it.

I think Sean Olin did a pretty good job in writing this book. I will admit that it is not the best writing I have ever come across but it was still decent. It might be a bit too simple for some people. Yeah, it's a YA novel but it have a lot of mature scenes. Especially with the gore. Lots of gore. Yuck. Still, since it has some mature themes, there should have been more adult writing involved. My opinion only, people! There were a lot of typos (at least in my copy) and some sentences didn't make sense unless you read them over twice but for some reason... I didn't mind it that much. I guess I just liked the story and how the characters were so stereotypical. To be honest... this review is going to be a little bit awkward for me because, till this very day, I have no idea why I like it. Yet I have read this book three times now! God, what is wrong with me! I mean... the book is not necessarily compelling... and it becomes predictable towards the middle... BUT I FREAKING LOVE THIS BOOK! I don't know what Olin did to me but... bravo, Olin. Bravo.

I would say this book had really only one main character, though there was another that appeared every so often. Britney is the main character... and I did not like her one bit. She was supposed to be this smart girl who was "geeky" and then she changed her entire persona just so she could "fit in." Girls who do this lose a tremendous amount of awesome points to me. Yes, most girls do DO this... but I hate it. I find it weak and pathetic, which she is! Britney started ditching her own friends just because she wanted to hang out with the populars. See? Nothing new here. She was superficial, annoying, slutty, and I don't like her. Plus, she was disgusting! juts a horrible mess of a person! Ugh! How vulgar! -_-" The next main character is Adam. He was a bit better. I don't understand his fixation on Britney but whatever. Guys will be guys. (Okay... that was sexist, wasn't it? I do apologize, readers. I'm cranky.) Adam was this cocky, smart mouth, badass. I enjoyed him a lot more than I did Britney that's for sure! I think he made the book a lot more interesting than if it was just about her. However, towards the end of the book, he started to get on my nerves as well. I can't say why but... everything was just so wrong and stupid. I just am not a fan of these two characters. *Rolls eyes*

The side characters were my favorite part of this book (as it always is with any book). I loved Ed Johnson, Britney's father. He was so sweet and kind and gentle and cute and I love him! (So I'm fangirling... big deal.) I think out of all the characters, he was the best one. Then there's Melissa Brown, Britney's best friend, and she was another delight. She was a bit of a slob what with having her clothes on the floor, but she reminded me of what my house will look like whenever I get my own place: Books and note EVERYWHERE! For that, plus how awesome she is, I love her. There's Karl Brown and he was... weird. That is all. Bobby Plumley was another freak but... he wasn't so bad. He was just kinda "there" for me. There's Jan Johnson, Britney's mom, but... yeah... read the book. Last character I want to talk about is Tara Russell. She was the cop behind the entire ordeal and honestly, I've seen better cops. Her personality wasn't what bothered me. I thought she was actually kinda sweet. However, she was just dumb! There were so many signs to what could have been going on but she just completely missed them all! It was so obvious, too! ARGH! She should be behind a desk if she couldn't figure out something as basic as, oh, I don't know, THE KILLER BEING TWO STEPS AWAY!!! But I digress. Like I said, I like her personality but as a cop, she sucks. I'm telling you, the only two characters I enjoyed in this book was Ed Johnson and Melissa Brown. Only two.

Readers, you're all probably wondering why I gave this book a four out of five if all I did was bash the characters, stated its predictability, and mentioned how the writing was rather poor... and I reply with what I said before... I DON'T KNOW!!! I really have no idea why I like this book. It's rather frustrating because I'm not really sure what about this book pulls me in. Maybe it's the way I kept screaming at the top of my lungs at the characters to get a clue or the way Britney was such a bloody bitch or the way Mr. Johnson carried himself (I think it might be this one). Whatever it is, I love this book. It's still a very well put together kind of story and I think that if you like this sort of thing, you should check it out. It's not for everyone. No, no. But I do think it's worth the read at least once. Check it out from the library so you can see what I mean. It's not as bad as I made it out to be. XD Just don't expect nothing too amazing. Well, that's all for this review/rant. I'm still trying to get back into the reading cycle. I only have this month left before the end of the year and I still have a lot of books left to read. So!!! Here I go! >:3