Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 1 - Yutaka Nanten A few days ago, I picked up Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, another manga series that is an alternative ending to the anime... and I wasn't a fan. The characters didn't look like themselves nor did they act like themselves. The plot wasn't that engaging either. In short, I was left unimpressed. So naturally, I was a bit wary when I decided to read this manga. Let me just say this now... I FREAKIN' LOVED IT! But that's no surprise to you. After all, you saw how many Stars I rated it. It was really a fantastic manga! It was just like the anime! All the mayhem they went through in the anime, they also had many endeavors to overcome in the manga. I love the artwork, the story was fantastic, and I even had a little bit of something added to please my fujoshi heart! XD I am SO glad I read this!

Yutaka Nanten did a fantastic job adapting the anime into this manga. The first this I want to congratulate Nanten on is the artwork! The characters ACTUALLY look like themselves! Do you know how happy that makes me? Coming from the bizarre art style from Shooting Star, it was a relief to see Spike look like Spike. Another thing I was to give praise is how Nanten was able to get the same atmosphere of the anime down in this manga. Of course, nothing can compare to the anime. However, Nanten came really close to giving just as much of an epic performance as the creators of the anime did! I was so invested in each chapter and its characters. I was dying to see where the story was going and how our protagonists where going to get themselves out of danger. It was really a wonderful read!

The characters were just as you know them! Nothing is different about them! In Shooting Star, all of the characters acted as if they were a completely different person. Especially Ed! Edward was whiny, bratty, and a complete imbecile! Here! Oh, thank God, she is not like that in this volume. She is herself. Her weird, intelligent, beautiful self and I wouldn't have her any other way. Same thing could be said about the other characters but if I keep going, this is going to turn into a thirty page essay of my comparing the two manga and I rather just leave this as it is.

To sum up, this manga is a lot better and more truthful to the anime than Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star ever will be. If you are a fan of the Cowboy Bebop anime and you want to have a little something extra to help you get over your feels of it being over, than I suggest you pick up this series! Yeah, I know, I haven't read the other two volumes yet... but seeing as how amazing this one was and how nostalgic it made me feel, I have no doubts in my mind that I am going to like it. Besides, after writing this review, I am off to read the other two volumes! I just cannot wait to see where this goes! Please give this manga a look! You might end up enjoying it.