If I Stay - Gayle Forman Ah, what a disappointment. As you all may know, if you are into books at all, then this book has come up quite a bit. So many people raved about this book. They said how it was so moving and how it opened up your mind to other possibilities! They talked about it so much that I just had to see what all the hubbub was about. Naturally, when I saw it at my library during my last visit, I snatched this one and its sequel, Where She Went, to give it a read once I got home. Well, I did... and I was left so underwhelmed. There was nothing in this book that made me feel as if it was going to change my life. In fact, it made me want to ram my head into a wall because of how bored I felt whilst reading it. And it's not because I didn't understand the message. Oh, I understood it alright. I just didn't care! The characters was dull and the writing was not that impressive (for me, anyway). And the plot? Well, there really wasn't much to plot. It was all just one long, dry, boring read.

I don't really like critiquing an author's writing style. Everyone has a different writing style. And you, as the reader, can like it or not because we all have different preferences. I just want to say, though I think Gayle Forman can write, I don't think her true abilities were able to shine in this particular story. Her writing style just didn't do it for me. I kept thinking, "Wow... this is not that well-written." I just couldn't get into it and maybe that had a lot to do with the story itself and not so much the writing. The story was dull. Nothing really happened aside from the crash and Mia teeter-tottering between want to live or wanting to die. It was just an endless cycle of flashbacks of Mia wanting to be with her boyfriend and questioning if she wants to go to Juilliard or not. Everything that "happened" felt like nothing happened at all. Basically, I was bored out of my mind.

The characters weren't able to save the book either. Let's take Mia, our main character. What did she do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wait! No! She did do something! She whined a lot. Whined about being an outcast in her family and in school, whined about how she might not get into the school she wants to go to, and whined about how she might not be with her boyfriend again. She was dull, unoriginal, and completely obsessed with her boyfriend to take at least one second to worry about herself and her family since, you know, THEIR DEAD AND SHE'S FREAKING DYING! Lord help me. DX Her fascination with her boyfriend makes no sense to me. He wasn't outstanding or anything. He was nice, sure, but that's about it. He had nothing that made him sound like someone you'd want to be with for the rest of your life. In fact, he's an idiot! What would have cost him to go up to Mia's grandparents and ask if they can let him in to see Mia, instead of causing chaos for the entire ICU ward where there are people dying and need nothing but relaxation!? Ugh!

The other characters weren't much either. I like Mia's family. Her mother, father, and brother were great and all but we don't see much of them to actually fall in love with them. We get to see them in a few flashbacks but since Mia is so wrapped up in her own little life, that's not really saying much. Her grandparents were amazing. I guess I enjoyed them the most out of everyone. Especially her grandfather. However, just like her parents, we hardly see much of them. One character I can't stand at all is her best friend, Kim. Kim is a disgusting, no goo, lowlife, who treats her mother like shit at the drop of a hat. I'm not trying to sound like a snob or anything but it really pisses me off when a child treats their parents like shit when all the parent has done was worry and care for the child. OH! DO I GET PISSED OFF! Kim yells, curses, and embarrasses her mother in front of people a few times in the book and gets away with it, too! I wanted nothing more than to slap the crap out of her. I detest Kim and I hope her unruly hair gets tangled in the propellers of a motorboat!

Let me just stop this review now before it becomes more ranty. In short, I did not like this book (obviously). I did not like the writing, I hated the characters, and it just went on and on at a dull pace. I know that a lot of people love this book and I can understand why. However, I, on the other hand, just couldn't find anything about it to love. Needless to say, even though I have the book here with me, I will NOT be reading its sequel, Where She Went. I just didn't care enough about this one to even bother with the next. If you want to read this book, then go right ahead. Just try it out from the library first before you buy it just in case you don't end up liking it. I'm glad I did.