The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore So many ups and downs with this book... and that's not necessarily a good thing. I started reading this almost as soon as I finished the first novel because the first novel left me intrigued. I wanted to know what was going to happen with the plot and the characters. I wanted to know more about the Legacies and the Chimera. I just wanted to know MORE! So I picked up the sequel... then I hit a HUGE reading slump! So instead of not reading the book at all, I decided to put it aside and wait until I felt like reading again. Two months later, the reading bug bit me and I picked up this book again, reading it from beginning to end. Was it all really worth it, though? Eh. Yes and no. Even though I do enjoy the plot and the Legacies that is within the book, I found that this book in particular dragged on for FAR too long. Sure, things get accomplished in this book but because of how it's paced and how the plot takes a backseat whenever the stupidity of the characters are being focused on (more on this later), it feels like an eternity passes before anything actually gets done.

The writing for this book is just like the last one. It's pretty good. I don't think it's anything amazing but it definitely doesn't hinder the actual story. One minor complaint about the writing is how it switches perspective from the character, John, to the character of Marina. I feel like they blended in on some cases and it might confuse the reader as to whose story they are following. After a while, you get used to the way it's written so it doesn't get in the way too much, but for those first few chapters, prepare to be slightly confuse. Other than that, however, the writing was good! The pacing is a different matter entirely. It feels as if the story is dragging on and on and on. Half of the book consists of Four and his gang running away from someone, be it the Mogs or the police, or they are somewhere either training or trying to learn more about their home planet. The other half consists of Marina being... well, useless. She tries to convince her Cepan to leave the church where they are staying at, her being a "rebellious teen," and finding her Chest, which she could even do on her own.

The whole book was just one big waste, I feel. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the times when things were actually getting done! When the plot came back around, the book was actually enjoyable, and not because of the action scenes, no. In fact, there were TOO many action sequences. It was the books desperate way of saying, "Look! I am exciting!" when it reality, it seemed forced. Characters got killed off (I won't say which ones so calm down~ No spoilers here!) just because. That's it. There was no reason for them to die. They were just killed off just to make the book that much more "edgy." To be perfectly honest, if the book had less action and less characters being completely stupid and useless (don't worry, I will talk about this), it might have been a better book. I would have enjoyed it that much more! But that's not the case. Well, the little that we do get about the actual plot is pretty interesting. You get to see more of the Legacies that were introduced in the first book and they are used creatively. You learn a bit more about the planet of Lorien, too, but I won't say that here~ I'll let you discover that for yourself. All-in-all, when the main story shows up, it really keeps you engaged! When it is not the main focus... oh Lord...

The characters (see? I told you I will speak of them) are one of the biggest letdowns in this entire book. In the last book, you had a fair set of characters. None too great but none too bad either... except for John. And that, ladies and gentlemen, carries over into this book. Oh my God, grant me the patience to not choke this kid. He must be one of the dumbest protagonists I have ever read in a novel... and I read quite a fair share of books! He's selfish, stupid, egotistical, and pathetic! He thinks more with his penis more than he does with his actual brain! I am not joking here! He spends more time trying to get laid with Six whilst thinking of his girlfriend, Sarah, than he does trying to prepare for the upcoming war. Oh! And let's not forget what a horrible friend he is on top of that! Sam, John's friend, is a pretty good character. He's sweet, kind, kind of nerdy, but charming in his own right... and he has a thing for Six. John knows this and what does he do? HE STILL CHASES AFTER SIX AND TRIES TO WOO HER! What pisses me off about this? IT FREAKING WORKS! I won't say much more because this is "spoiler" territory... if you can even call it that. I will say this, however, I am not a fan of the message they are trying to make the reader swallow here. Look, I am a simple type of girl and I'd like to consider myself very open-minded. That being said, I am NOT one to swallow that it's okay for you to have multiple lovers and have feelings for every single one of them. I'm not. I believe that if you truly love someone, doesn't matter who that person is, you should be faithful to that one, and only one, person. That bullshit about being with a whole bunch of people, claiming to love them all, doesn't sit well with me. And THAT'S what this book is trying to say. No. I don't like it. Call me a prude if you want, but that's crap to me.

And if you think what I said about John is bad, and it's pretty bad, wait till you hear about what I have to say about Marina! At first, I really enjoyed Marina. I thought she was fun and intelligent... I was quickly proven wrong. She is the most worthless character in the entire book. She has so many amazing abilities that she just doesn't use! And I'm not talking about before, when her Cepan didn't teach her how to use them. I am talking about AFTER she learned. Most of the time she just stands around doing nothing, letting others save her butt time and time again! There were moments in the book when she had the power to save a life and she didn't! Why? I don't know. She couldn't figure out how to move. Now, I could chalk this up to the fact of the writers trying to make it more "edgy," like I said earlier, but she CONSTANTLY does it! You see her... again and again and again just stand around and do nothing! It grates on the reader and becomes annoying by the half-way mark. What upsets me is that she has so much potential... and it's wasted. *Sighs*

That's all I am going to say about this book. I could go on and on. This book gets a 2.5 out of 5 stars from me. I enjoyed the writing and a lot of what the plot brought to the reader but everything else? Oh, dear... no. It's a shame because I did enjoy the first book. It was a lot of fun to read. It had its flaws but no where near as much as this book did. It was a huge disappointment because a friend of mine really LOVES this book and I was hoping I will, too, but it just fell flat to me. If you liked the first book a lot and are into books with a lot of action, you might enjoy this book. As always, I encourage everyone and anyone to read a book that peaks their interests. Just because it wasn't my cup of tea doesn't mean it's not yours. Try it out for yourself and decide whether you like it or not. As for me? I think I will take a break from this series before continuing on to the next book...