The Secret School

The Secret School - Avi I went to the library recently and, whilst browsing the shelves, I came across Avi's Nothing But The Truth. I love that book. I read it back in high school and remembered how I fell in love with its unique writing style, engaging story, and annoying, but necessary, characters. So I checked it out of the library along with a few other books by Avi. After all, if I read one of his books and loved it so much, there's a chance I might fall in love with another, right?

I did. I read The Secret School and thought it was just as lovely and enjoyable as Nothing But The Truth. The only difference is that it's slightly shorter and the characters are not all total idiots! Avi's writing style is slightly different in this book than in the other but that doesn't get in the way of the reading experience one bit. This story about a girl wanting to get a good education so she can follow her dream of becoming a teacher is a very endearing one. The characters are wonderful and the atmosphere makes it for a quick easy read.

That being said, the only thing this book suffers from is its length. I was really enjoying myself in this story and seeing the characters grow and become more mature that when it was over, I felt a "That's it?" escape from my lips. I wanted to see how high school was going to go for both Ida and Tom. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Herbert. I wanted to know how everyone's future was going to turn out! But, alas, the book ended too quickly before I got a chance to find out.

That's not to say you don't get a sense of closure; you do. It's just left so... open that you're still left wondering about these characters and if they are going to be alright. It's inferred... but I like being told straight up that they are going to make it. Don't get me wrong, I really love this book! I do! I guess, what I am trying to say is, I loved it so much I wanted more! Which is a sign of a great book, if you ask me.

Give this book a read. It's short and simple so you can get through it in no time and have a fun read whilst you're at it. If you like coming-of-age stories then you will, most likely, enjoy this one. It's a great story about children trying to make something of themselves when America was going through some dark times. (Not that it isn't like that today.) I know you will come away with new appreciation for your own life and the life of others.

Avi is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This is only the second book I read of his, but I am in love with his ability to tell a story and tell it well. I have a few more books by him that I still need to read so I am not done yet with this amazing author!