Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2) by Diana Rowland

Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues - Diana Rowland

After having finished My Life as A White Trash Zombie, I had to move on and read the next book. And I was not disappointed one bit! This one continues where we left off in the previous book. Angel is still working at the coroner's office and trying to get her life together. But of course, nothing is ever that simple. There's now an evil organization that is experimenting with the zombie virus to make super soldiers. Now Angel needs to figure out a way to stop these people whilst trying not to miss a meeting with her parole officer. Can't fight an evil corporation if you're stuck in jail, amirite?

Once again, I had so much fun reading this book. Diana Rowland just makes such great, fast, enjoyable reads that by the time you finish it, you're like, "Wait... that's it? But I want more!" I am just in love with this book series. I love the tone and the writing and the story. It's exactly what I was looking for after wanting to read something that was light but had enough meat in it that I felt I was enjoying my time.

The characters are still my favorite part of this story. Angel is still a precious darling that I want to find happiness. I love how she doesn't take anyone's bullshit. What I loved about her in this book specifically was how she demanded respect. She is fully aware that she does not have a good educational background and she doesn't have a career but that does not give people permission to disrespect her and she calls them out when they do. I love that commentary of the book. People come from all walks of life but they are still people. Treat them with respect.

Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was Angel's relationship with her father. In the first book, he was abusive towards her. He even beat her. But here, we see them working towards a better relationship. It's not easy and it's far from perfect but they are working towards a better one. That's not something you see a lot in fiction. Where people, as messed up as certain aspects of their lives are, they are working towards fixing it and making it better. It shows there are many layers to us all and though we've messed up along the way, that does not mean it's over.

I love this series, I've only read two so far but I am highly enjoying it. There's so many good things that Rowland touches on that need to be talked about more. I love how diverse her cast is! From different class backgrounds to different races to different sexualities. This book series, though it is about zombies, is also about so much more. Please go out and read it. The same warnings I gave of the first book apply here as well. Violence, gore, sexual assault, and alcohol/drug use are throughout the book, but if you can read about those things, then you should definitely check this series out. I think it's amazing and enjoyable and well-written. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series and seeing what I think of them. Although, if the first two are any indication, I'm sure I'm going to love them.