They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America’s Racial Justice Movement by Wesley Lowery

They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America's Racial Justice Movement - Wesley Lowery

I will be honest with you. This book is very difficult to read. Especially if you have been paying attention to the Black Lives Matter movement. If you've seen even some of the videos that are referenced in this book, then all those memories of seeing dead bodies on the ground will come flooding back to you in mere seconds. You will be thrown right back to when you saw the videos on your phone or on your computers. You will remember the gruesome acts that were placed upon these people. Because this book is about now. Right now. What's happening in America and the police brutality that's happening mostly to people of color.

This book is not easy and it's not meant to be. It's meant to throw you into the pain and suffering that people are facing everyday of their lives because of the color of their skin. It's meant to tear you up whilst also providing facts about the movement and what the family of the victims have gone through, in some cases, are still going through. And it's important. It's important to keep your eyes and ears open. To learn about the world around you, and to realize that not everyone has it easy. Not everyone can just go out and have fun without people racially profiled. And, although this book is written in cold harsh truths, I appreciated every word written down.

I am glad for people like Wesley Lowery who are willing to go the extra mile to give us the truth as to what is happening in Ferguson, Baltimore, and Charleston. I'm glad he's constantly working with very little rest to bring some form of justice to these slain Black lives. And I am glad that no matter what he will continue to do so. He writes with an elegance and poise. He doesn't sugarcoat the cruelty that has taken place in these cities and he doesn't just paint one side of the picture. He writes about those who lost their lives and he writes about the police. What both parties are going through during these times of strife. I am glad I read this book because, even though I keep myself politically aware of what's going on in my country and even though I have seen many of these videos and I am aware of the racial injustices in America, I feel I have gained a deeper understanding of what is going on with this country and police brutality.

If you want to understand more about the Black Lives Matter movement, if you want to know more about how the police is handling these crimes and their take on it, if you just want to know more about the people involved in these shootings/crimes, if you want to know more about the people who are trying to make a positive difference in this world, then please read this book. You will learn so much from it. Besides, it's important to know these issues so that way we can start making positive changes in better understanding one another. We need to try to help each other now more than ever.