March: Book Three by John Lewis

March: Book Three - Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell, John Lewis Gaddis

And with this, I've completed the trilogy. I am so happy I read this. It helped educate me on the finer details that helped bring about the Civil Rights Movement. In this volume, we follow John Lewis from the streets of Atlanta, Georgia to the entire continent of Africa and back to the streets of Selma, Alabama. This volume covers the events of Bloody Sunday, the 1965 Voters' Rights Act, and so much more.

John Lewis has a way of telling these important events in a conversational tone. And sometimes it sounds as if we're getting to sit in an academic setting and hearing his lecture of his time on the battleground. For that's what it was: a battleground. So many people mercilessly killed because they just wanted the same rights as white people. It's horrific and wrong. And although this is a very difficult read, it is also an important one.

The artwork is gritty. It's a lovely style, but it does not sugarcoat what went on during those times. And I am grateful that it doesn't. People need to see the blood, the violence, the deaths. They need to be reminded that these events happened and they could easily happen again if we are not careful. We need to be vigilant and help each other as much as we can. Because that's what it means to be human. I've learned so much about these events and I shall continue to educate myself and fighting for the rights of others.

Please read all three volumes of March. Especially if you don't know much about what America was like during the 60's. Lewis packs in a lot of information, yes, but it's vital to know who played a role in our history and how we got to where we are today. These are not easy reads, but I think the knowledge and experience you gain from reading these books are well worth it. I love these books and I will definitely be adding them to my personal library.