Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona -  Noelle Stevenson

A couple of years back, it seemed everyone was talking about Nimona and how amazing this graphic novel was. Fast forward to today and people still seem to be talking about it. That, to me, is a sign to how brilliant a work of art is. So when I went to the library and saw it on the shelf, I snatched it up so fast! I just couldn't believe I was FINALLY going to read this comic! And, let me tell you, it's just as amazing as everyone says it is.

I literally have no complaints about this comic whatsoever! The art, the story, the characters, the setting. Everything! It's all so amazing! Noelle Stevenson did a fantastic job in creating a story where the reader becomes invested in the characters and their struggles. The artwork is matches the tone of the plot perfectly. It's light and cartoony when it needs to be and gets dark and grittier when the tone of the story shifts. The setting is a mixture of medieval and futuristic at the same time. A beautiful blend between fantasy and sci-fi. And the character designs are unique and diverse with each individual. I love the art so much!

The story is just as incredible as the artwork! It follows Nimona, a shapshifter, who is a fan of well-know "villain" Ballister Blackheart and joins him in his pursuit of "evil." I will not tell you anymore than that because it's best to go into this story knowing very little. But if you love adventure and a bit of mystery with characters who develop gradually and beautifully, then you will enjoy this graphic novel.

As for the characters, they are all so beautiful and amazing and intriguing and I just can't get enough of them! Nimona is a shapeshifter who is spunky, headstrong, funny, and cares so much for the "boss." Ballister Blackheart, the "boss," is a scientist who is a bit on the serious side but learns to care for Nimona throughout the book. Their friendship is one of the sweetest I've read about in any form of fiction. I love how they are willing to risk their lives for each other to see each other succeed. We also have Ambrosius Goldenloin. He works for the "government" and is a type of rival to Blackheart.  But, the more you read the story, the more you'll understand why they bump heads so much. The reasoning just melts the heart.

I cannot recommend this books highly enough! Please go out and read this book. It's funny, beautiful, magical, diverse, and a treat to experience. I love how positive it is for girls and boys alike. It teaches that it's okay to be who you are and that being a "monster" is not as bad as some would make it out to be. Such a fantastic message and a good read all around!