None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio

None of the Above - Andrea Di Gregorio

One of the more informative books I've read all year. This book follows a character who is intersex and tells of her story and experiences once she is diagnosed as such. I really enjoyed getting to learn more about Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS) since it's a topic that is rarely ever talked about, I can tell the author did a massive amount of research to get the correct information about what it is like to have AIS.

The writing is nothing out of the ordinary. It's quite "matter-of-fact" which I think is a good thing. She is trying to spread awareness about AIS, educating those who may not know what it is to become more well-informed, to bring an end to the stigma those what have AIS have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. So it's good that Gregorio's writing is to the point.

Now that characters are, in my opinion, on the weaker side. None of them are extremely memorable except for the main character, Kristin. Not that any of the side characters are bad... they just didn't leave a lasting impression on me. But that didn't deter me from reading. We, as the reader, are here to learn about Kristin and what she feels after finding out about her AIS. And as a main character, she was fascinating to read about. I, myself, don't know much about intersex people. I wanted to learn more. I still want to learn more because I know there are many different types of being intersex and I want to increase my knowledge so that I, too, can spread awareness and end the stigma. And from reading None of the Above I felt I did learn more. And I am grateful to this book for educating not only me but anyone else who reads this book. So the characters might not be the strongest aspect of this book, but the information and the awareness it brings is.

To sum up, read this book! It's incredible in what it sets out to do and I think it does it well. Be warn though, there is discrimination towards the main character that happens and an attempted sexual assault. So if that might be triggering, then you might want to hold off on this book until you're ready to read it. Oh, and one more thing about this book that I did not like. Kristin and one of her friends, Darren, make a rape joke at one point in the book that I found distasteful. I didn't think that was necessary and I wanted to point out the "joke" in case anyone might find that triggering as well.

But other than that, the book is important in trying to end hatred towards intersex people. And I do think it's an important read for anyone willing to educate, learn, and grow as a person. Give it a read.