Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Homegoing: A novel - Yaa Gyasi

How do I even review this book? I fell in love with it the moment I started reading it. The language is so rich and beautiful. The story itself is incredible. It spans multiple generations of the same family tree, telling you what became of this family from the beginning when they started off in what is to become Ghana to the modern day.

The story follows two half-sisters. One is sold off to a wealthy white general where she is treated relatively well and bores him a son. The other is sold off into slavery and is treated so poorly... as if she were nothing but dirt... then she is taken to America where things just get worse.

I'll leave it there because this book is so incredible. Gyasi lets you know the raw, emotional details of what many people had to go through during the time when slavery was at an all time high. But her way of weaving these tales together to end up in the modern day, where things are better but far from perfect, eats away at you. She tells the reader that there is still plenty left to do and I agree. So much left to do.

Please read this book. It's an experience. A learning experience. And if you've ever wondered what life is like for others who are not as fortune as you are, read this book. It's an eye-opener.

I know this review is all over the place, but I don't want to spoil it at all. As I've said, this is an experience and it's best if you go in knowing very little of what is happening. It's an amazing book and I hope you give it a read!