The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan - Patricia Castelao, Katherine Applegate

My heart aches... I hurt like I have not hurt before from reading a book. I haven't teared up from a book for years now. But this book? Oh man... did it pull at the heartstrings.

My partner has told me about Katherine Applegate and how much she loved her books for a long time so she has always been an author on my radar. When I saw a couple of her books at the library, I had to give them a read. Well, I will tell you this: I am so happy I did.

Yes, this book hurt me, but in a good way. It's based on a true story about a gorilla named Ivan and how he was kept in a tiny cage for twenty-seven years of his life at some circus/mall venue. It was such a heartbreaking story. The way Ivan and many other animals were treated just destroyed me. No animal should be treated that way. However, I am glad that I read this story and that Applegate brought a voice to these animals.

The writing was superb! It flowed so naturally and felt like Ivan, Stella, Ruby, and Bob really talked to you through the pages. I was so enraptured by this story that I soared by the end of it! It was such a lovely book and I encourage everyone to read it.

No, really. Everyone should read it. Especially if you love animals and stories that defeat the odds! This book is a wonderful experience and then some.