The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris

The Gospel of Loki - Joanne Harris

I had such an up-and-down time with this book. At first, I was really excited to read this book because it was all about Loki, the Norse God of Mischief, and I have always had an interest in Norse mythology. However, I almost stopped reading this book because the dialogue is atrocious. For instance, the setting for this book makes it that the characters should speak in a bit of a more archaic style. BUT! What we get is Loki saying "chillax" and "so shoot me" more often than not, and it bugged the crap out of me! I really thought that I wouldn't be able to finish the book because of how much I hated the dialogue. But I persevered and, once I overlooked the dialogue, I ended up liking the story.

As I've said, the writing is not that great. I think the ideas and concept behind the book are amazing, just the execution of it was rather poor. However, I really did enjoy the actual story of it. Seeing how Loki got his start and then, eventually, his downfall was so interesting to me that I had to see it through to the end. This is not a very happy story for Loki, but then again, it never truly is... is it? He's always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to living in Asgard. After all, being surrounded by the gods, who are all shallow and idiotic beyond reason, wouldn't really assist Loki in having a happy ending.

I think that's one of the main things I like about this book. It follows the myths nicely. Harris adds a bit of her own flare here and there, but it's mostly faithful to the myths and I enjoyed that. I just wish the writing of the story was a lot better.

I wouldn't recommend this book if you are looking for a serious adaptation of Norse mythology. The dialogue can be very tedious at times and the characters can be a bit of a nuisance to read about. But if you are looking for a fun, quick read about the Trickster God and wouldn't mind that type of writing, then I think you should give this a go!