We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

It's been a while since I've read a book that I felt wasn't predictable. Sometimes it is really easy for me to figure out what is going on in the story way before the actual "secret" has been revealed. That was not the case in this book. The plot of this book is so mysterious and twisted, you have no idea what is going on until the very end of the book. And I loved every minute of it. The writing is beautiful! Lockhart knows how to spin a tale and keep the reader engrossed within the story until the very end. I am completely blown away with how quickly I was able to read this book.

One thing I did not enjoy was the characters. But that's the point. The Sinclair family is all about appearances. They are very shallow and believe that hiding your feelings and not causing a scene is best. I had quite a difficult time connecting with the characters but that's the point. I, as the reader, am not suppose to connect with them. They are horrible people and are meant to show you what it's like to be in their shoes. Still, regardless of how I felt about them, the book remained an entertaining and interesting read throughout.

I am going to be vague about this book because just saying anything even remotely about the plot will ruin the book for you and I don't want to do that. If you like mysteries and secrets, I think you will enjoy this book. Besides, it is really well-written and a very quick read. Give it a try. You may end up liking it.